Update: I actually published this post 2 days ago and then saw the Workin’ It Wednesday link up was this exact week (that’s why I should look at my blog calendar more). Anyway, I’m linking up today with Shay and Erika for Workin’ It Wednesday where we’re talking about Summer Activities and how we keep our kids busy. Enjoy. I can’t wait to read other bloggers ideas. You can check out my other Workin’ It Wednesday posts HERE.
Summer is here and for a lot of us, that means lots of free time for our kiddos. Summer activities are crucial for young, busy kids! My friend sent me a summer activity chart the other day and it got me pinning away on Pinterest for other ideas.
I know that the more scheduled we are, the better our days go. This is the last summer before Beckham goes to Kindergarten and I want to make sure he has a summer he truly enjoys!
After finding some good ideas on Pinterest, I thought I’d share them here (click on the picture to take you to the link for more details).
This is the one my friend sent me and I love it because it gives a guideline for the week…flexible enough to choose what to do, but some guidance.
These look like some cool experiments that we might try this summer!
I like this idea of a scavenger hunt. The boys love being outside and especially love “hunts” of any kind. I might make this in picture form for Maddox. And HERE is a link to over 30 free scavenger hunt printables. A lot of them have pictures which is cool for younger kiddos.
And I absolutely love this. I’ve made my own for my boys to use (just click on the picture below to get access to the file). Feel free to download it and print it for yourself. Beckham wants to watch TV as soon as he wakes up, so I love this checklist!
In reality, my kids get to watch a show some mornings, so if that is the case, they will have to at least complete the first 4 items on this list to watch a show. Then the rest have to be done if they want any additional screen time like the iPad. The last item on this list (select a chore) will refer to our chore list. Hopefully, I can share that list soon.
Here are some other things we’ll be doing this summer.
1. Go to a baseball game (Texas Rangers or Frisco Rough Riders)
2. Splash pad & Park – We like to go in the evening and have dinner there also!
4. Go camping
5. Visit The Perot Museum
6. Dallas Arboretum
7. Go pick blackberries in the morning – There is a blackberry farm nearby. We’d also come home and make a yummy blackberry cobbler.
8. Beckham also has VBS two weeks (he’s already completed one) and both boys will do a small summer camp for a few days in July.
9. Beach vacation – We are planning on going to Destin this summer and the drive is about 12 hours.
Our view from our last trip to Destin
10. I’ve also been eyeing this pool (affiliate link) to put up in our backyard. I usually don’t like inflatable pools, but there.must.be.water! It’s so hot!
11. We’ll also hangout at my parents a lot since they have a pool and nice backyard to lounge in (they’re about 30-40 minutes away though).
Ideally, a typical day for us will be going to the gym and swimming afterwards or doing some sort of activity in a cool, air conditioned place. It’s hard to do much outside during the summer in Texas, unless you’re in a pool…this will be a hot summer starting off 20 weeks pregnant.
What are you up to this summer? Any other activities you’re doing with your kids?