I want to start this post with two verses:
Proverbs 31:30 – Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
1 Peter 3:3-4 – Your beauty should not come from outward adornment…Rather it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quite spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.
We must work on our beauty from within, as this is the beauty that will stick with us forever. Is there someone you admire and really look up to? Most likely that person is kind and has traits you desire. There is nothing more attractive, in my opinion, than a girl or woman who is beautiful on the inside and out! Not many people are jealous of a beautiful mean girl! All that being said, we still love to look put together and pretty for ourselves and others. I don’t think there is anything wrong with “beautifying” your outer self, as long as you have put more time into beautifying your innards!
Every girl loves to get dolled up, whether that’s simply putting clothes on (stay at home moms, you can relate) or getting fancied up for a big date with your man! This can get very expensive, which is why all the movie stars always look so good. They have every product at their becking call, with no thought to how much it is.
So I thought I would do a post on how you can doll yourself up on a budget! This is simply what works for ME! The two things I find beautiful are good skin and great hair, so those are the two things I probably splurge more on! Here are my beauty on a budget tips:
1. Do your own nails – I love, love, love painted nails! It changes my mood and makes me instantly feel girly! Not to brag, but I will…I’ve perfected doing my nails (hands). I still go get pedicures once a month, but preferably need a pedicure twice a month. So, since we only have one pedicure in the budget, I do my toes once between visits (not gonna lie, sometimes I don’t touch them the whole month). I can do my toes well too, but it’s just harder, so I prefer someone else doing it. I tell my husband it’s the best $30 I spend each month! He rolls his eyes. Once when I was at the salon, the lady asked me, “You get gel on nails?” as she pointed to my manicured hands. I said, “No I did them myself,” She said, “Oh, you work here?” inferring I should work there (sorry had to quote in her own words – think Angelah Johnson voice). See the pictures below to see what I use and how I do my own nails!
|1. Cut with clippers
2. File nails to smooth tips
|I use Biosilk for hair…works great!|
|6. Paint nails with a clear coat. Thought you would like to see how I sit when I do my nails also 🙂|
|7. Paint nails with two coats. You will probably have some paint on your skin like I do above. Use a q-tip and polish remover to remove it.|
|Nails all finished the next day! It looks orangier in this picture, but it is a coral/pink color.|
2. Make-Up – I don’t wear a lot of make-up and if I do, it’s always the same stuff, so needless to say, I’m no make-up connoisseur. I rarely have to buy make-up because it lasts forever. I buy most of my make-up at MAC. I do splurge on their powder (Mineralize Skinfinish) since that is all I use to “cover up my face.” It’s like $28, which I think is ridiculous, but it makes my face really soft looking and makes putting on make-up really easy . I don’t even remember how much their eye shadow is since I haven’t bought any in over a year. It lasts so long. I do recommend investing in good brushes from MAC and just cleaning them every so often. I have brushes for powder, bronzer, eyeshadow (2), eyebrows, and eyeliner (when I use the fancy stuff from MAC). I use bronzer from Walmart (NYC brand) and love it. My eyeliner (Maybelline Define-a-line) is from Walmart also and it’s the only brand I like! My mascara is Maybelline Great Lash, but I change mascara a lot. Mary Kay’s mascara is really good also! I use Mary Kay concealer ($10) and it lasts a year. This stuff is the best concealer. I suggest going to MAC or a brand you like and asking for a makeover. It’s free, but you usually buy something to “pay for the service.” Tell them to walk you through what they’re doing also. I did this and invested $200 for make-up and the only thing I’ve replaced from there is the powder (that price was brushes included).
3. Sunless Tanner – I love a good tan. I think everyone looks good with a tan. A few years ago, I decided to stop tanning in the cancer causing beds and limit my exposure outside. I’m sure I’ve done so much damage to my skin, but I can only stop damaging it now and take care of it from here on out. I’m very pale and freckly, so I started doing VersaSpa at Palm Beach. It looked great and lasted about a week or two, but was so expensive. Plus, now they’re claiming the DHA, if inhaled, can be damaging…great! So I finally found a product I like that is cheaper and works great! It’s called Jergens Natural Glow Foaming Moisturizer! I noticed a difference the next day…but my legs could probably blind you they’re so pale. Even more of a difference a few days after. Just apply it when you want (I try to every other night). It’s $7 for several applications compared to $30 for one versa tan. My friend uses the firming lotion and her skin looks great too.
|The foam moisturizer. I get the one for light skin. They have two shades.|
4. Stay Fit – This is free and makes you look wonderful! Fat is just not pretty. I’m currently working on this, both for that extra weight (can’t blame the baby after 10 months anymore dang it) and for my skin! Greasy, sugary food do not show beautifully on your skin.
|Does this not make you want to go workout? I think I’ll print this out and post it on my fridge!|
5. Drink water – Again, free and much easier than keeping fit! Water helps you lose weight, keeps you full, and hydrates your skin. Something I’m working on also!
6. Hair – Well, this is where beauty on a budget fails! Haha! I’m naturally brunette and LOVE being blonde! Therefore, I get my hair done almost every month with high lights and low lights. But I will say, once my hairdresser charges more or somehow my services get higher (have you noticed it changes each time?), I find another one. A mom of one of my old students does it now and I love her! She’s affordable, gets my hair how I like it, and fun to talk to! To be honest I pay anywhere from $55-$100, depending on what I’m getting done. I really should go back to brunette and live $75 richer a month, but for now, I’m blonde. Luckily Ryan likes it blonde too, so it doesn’t erk him as much! Oh and I use Pantene shampoo for colored hair. And a hair serum to the ends of my hair since it’s very dry. The gel I use when I curl it is the cheap $2 LA Looks 10. It is the best stuff. I’ve tried a lot of other products for curly hair and I love this stuff.
|Blonde (current hair color)|
|Curly…this was on our way to New Mexico after a LONG day at work! 🙂|
7. Clean your closet, THEN shop – If you’re like me, your closet gets fuller and fuller and “you never have anything to wear.” Clean out your closet (take EVERYTHING out) and try it on. You’d be surprised at what you find. It’s like shopping for free…in your closet. I just did this and was amazed at what I found. I also got rid of over 75 pieces of clothing! Then make a list of a few “must haves” and go shop with a purpose. My favorite affordable stores are Kohl’s, Target, Forever21 (although they’re selling less quality stuff lately), and Macy’s! I’m learning to buy less higher priced items I’ll wear a lot rather than a ton of cheaper clothes that fall apart or go out of style quickly!
8. Skin Care – My sister sells Mary Kay, so I try and support the sis and buy a few items I like of theirs. I use the face wash ($18), lotion ($22), and concealer ($10)! They all last really long (about 4 months, lotion longer). Concealer lasts almost a year. If you’re really on a budget though, Dove Moisture (no scent) bar of soap works great. A dermatologists once told me that was one of the best skin care washes to use.
I hope that helped a bit with how to cut down on beatifying yourself. If you have any tips or advice, please share! I could use it! This is an area that can get really out of hand, as it’s easy to keep spending money on make-up and skin care, especially the older you get 😉
Link Ups: Every Girl Link Up