I don’t know about you, but groceries seem to be getting more costly for us as of late. We used to be really good at budgeting groceries around $300-350 and somehow we’ve morphed into spending $475 easily! I’ve blogged a lot on budgeting for groceries (click HERE), but even I have let it go too high. There are 3 of us in this family…I just don’t think they should be over $400 at the most! *And when I refer to “we” I’m really talking about me since I do the grocery shopping.
I’ve made a few changes (see below) and will document all my grocery spending this month for you to see. We can see if it will really help. It will show you the new “strategies” I am doing, the meals we plan for, and the deals we get. I’m kind of cheating because I’m doing it in the month of February, which happens to be a shorter month.
Here are a few things I will be focusing on to try and keep our grocery budget under $400. Most of them are things I currently do, but with some minor changes.
1. Use a new GROCERY TEMPLATE to write down my grocery list and menu.
2. PLAN MY MEALS a week at a time. I am going to try and plan more of my breakfasts, lunches and snacks.
3. Use a new “GROCERY STAPLES” list I created to make sure I don’t forget anything at the store. It will be good to look at quickly before I go and make sure I have the staples I need. The green font are items for Beckham (buy these often).
4. Do my big shopping trip WITHOUT Beckham. A stressed mama doesn’t make the wisest choices in the store.
5. Pick meals for the week that are NOT COMPLICATED and that I can possibly prepare ahead of time, so I’m not trying to manage a toddler and cook dinner.
6. Continue to look at the GROCERY ADS before I shop. I just discovered a new App called Flipp. It contains ALL the grocery ads in your area, all in one spot for you to browse through and select. I think this will be pretty cool.
7. Use more GROCERY COUPONS. I always forget to use coupons. I need a simple, yet effective system for grocery coupons.
8. Be diligent on NOT WASTING FOOD – make meals for our size of family or freeze half; have a clean fridge and pantry so I can see everything we have!