I mentioned this last week in my Friday Favorites post, but this little sweet snack is so delicious it was coined the term “Christmas Crack” because it is so addicting. A more appropriate name might be Cracker Toffee 🙂
This is a pretty popular recipe on Pinterest, but I couldn’t find one exactly like the one my friend Kristen gave me so I thought I’d share here.
What You’ll Need:
1-2 sleeves of Club crackers (enough to cover a cookie sheet)
2 sticks butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
3-4 cups of chocolate chips
*so pretty much healthy 🙂
Directions (see pics below for a visual):
1. Line a cookie sheet (make sure it has a lip around it so mixture doesn’t seep over edge) with foil and grease it with cooking spray.
2. Lay your club crackers on the sheet.
3. Melt butter in sauce pan, then add brown sugar and baking soda until all melted and mixed together (it may bubble/foam up and that’s okay, just keep stirring…the baking soda makes it foam…just keep stirring so it doesn’t burn until it’s all mixed together).
4. Pour all over crackers trying to evenly coat them.
5. Put in a 350 degree oven for 7 minutes.
6. Take out and immediately sprinkle chocolate chips over the top. I like more of a thin layer, so I used about 3 cups, but just eye ball this and try to cover the whole thing (I initially sparingly sprinkled them and it was not enough). Once the chocolate starts to melt, spread it in a layer with the back of a metal spoon until covered.
7. Freeze at least 1 hour before breaking it into bite sized pieces. Enjoy!
*I stored mine in the fridge between eating it every 5 minutes, but I actually like it at room temp. You can also keep this in the freezer until you are ready to pull out and serve it (maybe take out 20 minutes prior).
Jessica Bahun says
Did it get hard? I made it one year and it turned out but the other couple of times I've tried it's a gooey mess and doesn't get hard lol. I'm wondering if the baking soda has something to do with it,
Yes, it did harden. Did you use the same amount of crackers as I showed above? Maybe it was too concentrated if not spread out enough? I also think the Club crackers may absorb more than the normal Saltine crackers. I have no idea what the baking soda does, but I didn't want to alter it in anyway (that was one of the things I didn't find on any of the other Pinterest recipes…and most used Saltine crackers). I will say if it's room temp after being pulled from fridge/freezer, the toffee part softens a bit, but it's still put together. Let me know if you end up making it.
kimm atwood says
We make something similar to this and it's so ridiculously good! Have a merry Christmas Olivia !
Katherine Madsen says
Oh this looks so good! Off topic, but I'm wondering what you do with money your kids are gifted… do you get them their own bank accounts or do you just keep it in a piggy bank or do you have any other suggestions? Would love to read a post about that! Merry Christmas!
Yum looks delish! Merry Christmas! 🙂